The modern central court is dominated by the curious Chakri Maha Prasat hall. The hall was built by King Rama V and completed in 1882. Its unusual design is due to some controversy during its construction. The original architect was a Briton working in Singapore named John Clunich. Rama V wanted an entirely western look to his new home, but others in the court argued that the king's residence and throne hall should reflect Siamese motifs. Thus the domed roof was replaced by a Thai styled roof. It should be no surprise that the Thai nickname for the building is the 'westerner with a Thai hat'.